Thursday, April 15, 2021

So, What's the point of shopping in-store anymore?

 Okay before any of my small-shop owners have a heart attach, I'm not really talking about small shops. Because they tend to place a higher value on their customer relations. This rant is dedicated to the chains. Specifically the Anthropologie's of the retail space. 

Let's talk about the HUGE brick and mortar that is the Anthropologie-BHLDN-Terrain-Terrain Café, in Palo Alto. Pre-COVID, this ginormous space was always filled. Post-COVID, understandably, the space is devoid of the hustle and bustle...

Anthropologie-BHLDN-Terrain-Terrain Café, Palo Alto
[photo from TripAdvisor]

On a beautiful, warm, Spring afternoon like today, Anthro is normally a no-brainer if you're shopping at Stanford. But today, as I entered the Palo Alto store, an employee, red-faced through her mask, was in tears...distraught...little did I know that was going to set the tone as I walked in.

The place always seemed big, but it's a bit overwhelmingly depressing now. With hardly a soul in there shopping. Usually half the point of going into Anthro is to peruse all the things, which was my intention, but I wasn't feelin the good shopping juju. 

Then, the store couldn't accept a return of a new with tags dress I got in the mail just the day prior. Specifically, the reason cited was it being from Anthro's wedding line, BHLDN. Those HAVE to be mailed back. No iffs, ands or butts. Doesn't matter that I bought the dress from Anthropologie. Doesn't matter that the receipt said I could return it in-store. Doesn't matter that it was a BHLDN-tagged dress being returned to an Anthro that has a BHLDN within their store. They've got a strict, super inconvenient policy. Good fucking grief. 

Policy is policy. I get it. I get it because I worked retail. And I just so happened to work for Anthropologie once upon a time. So I know how unpleasant it is to have to let down a customer over a policy you have nothing to do with. I was great at my job because I always knew how to let down a customer. Because they will undoubtedly be disappointed, but you can try to avoid anger. I used to always act like I was more offended by the policy than the customer....trust me, it worked every time.


"You know what, personally I don't like the policy either and I can't do anything BUT let me get my manager and see if there's any way we might be able to do something for you." .....that was my line. 


And it worked, give or take a few exceptions. But it defused situations. Whether or not they could be remedied. When the customer thought I cared, it made a difference. D U H. Basically, I treated people how I wanted to be treated as a customer. I was a fucking gem of an employee. 


And today I was reminded how rare those gem employees are. 


Of all the shit to worry or complain about in the world today, yeah, I chose this. This is my rant.


What's the point of shopping in-store anymore? Because I found it hard to find a reason this afternoon. Shopping in-store today required me to get dressed. Pack up my kiddo. Drive to the store and stroller-up said kiddo. ALL of this was not an issue because we were excited to get outa the house on this gorgeous day and do some shopping. 


Kiddo saddled up, mommy masked up, we head in to shop. Delilah hates the mask just as much as I do and rips it off of me, so at least from the stroller, she can't do anything other than voice her disdain. I literally cannot blame her. But I digress. These are the small sacrifices we make to go out in the world post-COVID. I quiet her with crackers. All is well. I'm determined to make the best of this.


Annnnnd 10 minutes later? I'm like why the fuck did I even bother leaving my house today, Ya know? Why go through all the trouble, to just walk out of a store with a nasty taste in your mouth. Like, is that the vibe Anthro's going for? Again, What's the point of shopping in-store anymore? It's not like I can try anything on. The fitting rooms are open at some stores but not at this particular one. Which is to their detriment because this is one of their largest stores and their sale section was loaded! Because no one's shopping IN-STORE. And they certainly don't seem to care too much....and if they don't care, why should I? 


So, here's my experience in a nutshell: I walk in to a store masked (still? fml). No background music playing to entice the shopping vibes. An employee in tears (poor girl...been there). A strict "no in-store return" policy on a brand new item, with tags. An employee who needs a lesson on finessing her way out of said unpleasant store policy. Everyone looking pretty miserable. Ummmmm....ew. Get me the F outa here.


So, What's the point of shopping in-store anymore?


Shopping at home this past year has been pretty convenient. I can shop in my swimsuit from the backyard, while the baby takes a nap. I'm at home so I don't have to cover my face like a bandit. Feels nice to be able to breathe unobstructed whilst shopping. I can order all the sizes, try them on in my closet, and return what doesn't work. Printing return labels at home doesn't require me to fandango with an employee who hates her job. 


It's a pandemic. And everyone's in a mood. I get it. Some of us have been through more than others. But with that said, when you go to work, you learn to check your attitude at the door.


And if these brick and mortar behemoth's, like Anthro in Palo, want to keep their doors open, they should take a page out of Target's playbook! 


Something I noticed, right away, when Targets fully opened back up, was they were actively welcoming people back in to the stores to shop. The employees were seriously nicer and more pleasant than I had ever seen them. Literally welcoming us in...Can I help you with anything....Stay well....Enjoy your day...blah, blah, blah.......it set a fucking TONE


Target realized that people hate having to shop with a mask. It's an impediment to breathing. It sucks. It's inconvenient. And a morbid reminder of the times. So, the employees STEPPED IT UP. Like I said, I've worked retail, so I know that this enthusiasm on their parts was definitely putting in the effort. 


But it showed. 


And it was appreciated. 


I was welcomed. And mask be damned, I still shopped and pleasantly-so because there was an effort being made to bring people in. 


You might think I complain about some random shit sometimes, but I think this one's a goodie. Because at the heart of this rant, it's about treating people how you want to be treated. In life and business. At home and at work. It's how you remain successful and maintain relationships, with friends and customers.


"To be good, and to do good, is all we have to do." - John Adams.

It's simple. Get a clue.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Paging Mrs. Gehrels. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig