Thursday, June 2, 2022

About damn time I blow this popsicle stand.



First getaway…without a baby.

It should come as no surprise it was down to Palm Springs. 

A. I love Palm Springs. It’s close. It’s hot. I dig the retro vibes. And especially the hospitality. It’s always a good time and the perfect escape. And we always meet the nicest people.

B. When I say close, it’s only an hour and half plane ride for us which was key for this specific trip. First time away from the kiddo and the first time Grandma would have to be on her shit 24/7. A lot of firsts and it took me 2 years to be comfortable getting away without Delilah. Baby steps. But as a new mom, you just know when you’re ready, so don’t feel like you’re on anyone else’s timeline other than your own! We all have a different timeline of when we feel it’s right to leave our babes. And it’s important to get that time away. Trust me you need it. I didn’t realize how much I needed it. 



I’ve been with Delilah 24/7 since the moment she entered this world. Our first vacation since the pandemic pandemonium started was last Spring, and we definitely traveled with Delilah. I just wasn’t ready to leave her, not even in the safe care of my parents. I just wasn’t ready! No way to explain it other than you just get a feeling. Listen to your body. Listen to your soul. You get mommy vibes all the time so pay attention to them. And when you’re ready, you’ll know. 

Annnnd after 2 years of being glued to Miss D, I suddenly felt like everyone was ready…me, my parents and of course Delilah. Maaaaybe it had a little something to do with Delilah hitting those infamous “terrible two’s” that I suddenly decided I was perfectly fine with getting away for a minute.

While Chris and I were in Palm Springs, celebrating our 5-year-anniversary, I think we FaceTimed Grandma and Delilah maybe twice?? We definitely texted constantly and got pictures but for some reason I didn’t feel the need to try and force our 2-year-old to hold a conversation. Much like her mommy, Delilah is not a fan of FaceTime…so, fuck it. We knew she was in the best hands she could possibly be in and that’s honestly what I attribute such a massive peace of mind to. So, huge, HUGE Thank You to my mom and dad but let’s face it, we know Grandma does all the work….lol…


Chris and I booked a sweet little villa at a 21+ only resort that we’d been wanting to check out. We drive by it every time we stay in Palm Springs and from the outside, it looked like a slice of Heaven…a very serene vibe that explains the NO kid policy. What a lovely policy indeed. Exceptions are made for doggies on a case by case basis. But me thinks they say yessss to pretty much all the puppers because while kids are tolerable, it’s safe to say we all love dogs. 

Chill out if you are not part of the all I speak of. Just because I LOVE my baby girl does not mean I’m a lover of all children. In fact they usually irk me and I’ve always been awkward with kids. Which does not explain whatsoever why they tend to like me. Go figure.

So, anyway, back to my Villa in Heaven…we stayed in Villa 16 at La Serena Villas. And it was SO peaceful and secluded that we didn’t want to leave. Usually we are somewhat ready to get back home at the end, but this time it was a fucking bittersweet farewell. La Serena Villas is the embodiment of an escape. A perfect little oasis in the desert. It was truly the perfect place to get away…getting massages and facials…spending the day away laying by the pool, ordering tacos and cold beers…can you feel it? It was wonderful. Never been so sad to check out of somewhere in my life. This was the first time we hardly left the resort property because it was that good.














It’s funny. It’s like I got a taste of freedom again and I wasn’t in any hurry to let it go. I got the break I needed but definitely wasn’t super eager to return to poopy diapers and the attitude. The attitude only parents of a 2-year-old can understand. 

And of course, when we arrived home I was excited to see my munchkin, but predictably daddy’s girl really only had enough fucks to give to her dad. And I went with it. 

I went about my business, essentially ignoring her (unpacking, laundry, etc) and sure enough, next morning, the babe wanted her mommy…she came to the bedroom looking for me. (albeit may have had a tad to do with her program ending on the TV but you take what you can lol) 

I just had to give her time and space which hell, sounds good to me! No complaints here. I read that a lot of mom’s take the “daddy phase” hard. And that’s just all it is. A phase. And man do they come fast and furious these days! So, I try to keep calm and carry on…try being the keyword here. I’m not perfect and trying to be so is exhausting. 

So, when the going gets tough, the tough check into a villa for a few days.


And I highly recommend La Serena Villas if you’re in Palm Springs and looking for an adult retreat.












































































SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Paging Mrs. Gehrels. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig